Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reflective Essay

A few months ago, when I first came to DLSU I was culture shocked when I heard people around me talking in English it was very new to me simply because in my previous school we all talked in either Tagalog or Chinese. As soon as we stepped in our first Englcom class I was so amazed at all my blockmates abilities in English. So I said to myself then “By the end of this term I should have improved both in my English grammar and my writing prowess.” And here I am now writing my final reflective essay for the term.I am proud to say that I was able to achieve the goal that I set out on for grammar and reading. Because now I can speak fluently with others in English and when I was making my portfolio for Englcom writing I saw how much I improved in my outputs.

Among the accomplishments in this class I am most proud of my online portfolio because this is the first time I've made a blog about anything and it was a fun learning experience making a blog.

I still need to improve on subject-verb agreement because in my quiz on subject-verb agreement I scored a very low score, but after that quiz I read up on a few web pages about subject-verb agreement and I can say that I understand it a lot better now, but I still need to read some more to really improve.

I learned a lot while I was completing this portfolio especially in grammar, mechanics, word choice, and reading. I learned about my previous grammatical mistakes and learned why I committed those, I learned the proper mechanics on writing, I learned that the proper word choice should be used to show the true essence of an essay, and I learned that reading articles can enrich one’s vocabulary.

The problems I had regarding this online portfolio was that there were only limited signboards with wrong grammar and most of the signboards had exactly the same error as the other one. So in order to finish the signboard part of the online portfolio I just looked harder and eventually I was able to get exactly 10 pictures.

All in all I can say that keeping a language portfolio is a great thing especially the process of doing it. When I was making the online portfolio I was able to do different things like doing a template, looking at my previous essays and doing a blog. But for me the best part about it was that I was able to learn from my previous grammar errors and that I was able to use my grammar skills in doing my first ever blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment